The Odessa Police Department would like to remind the public that April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. Since last year, the Odessa Police Department has responded to hundreds of crashes and issued over 1,100 citations relating to Distracted Driving or Texting While Driving.
Distracted Driving Reminders:
1) Texting while driving distracts a driver visually, manually and cognitively.
2) If you are expecting a text message or need to send one, pull over and park your vehicle in a safe location.
3) Designate your passenger as your “designated texter” and allow them to respond to calls or messages.
4) Do not engage in social media scrolling or messaging while driving.
5) Put your cell phone down until you arrive at your destination.
6) One in five crashes involves driver distraction, according to TXDOT.
7) Sending or receiving messages takes a driver’s eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, the equivalent of driving blind at 55 mph for the length of an entire football field.
8) Click HERE for more reminders about Texting While Driving.